Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cursitor Doom[_4_] Cursitor Doom[_4_] is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 15:05:18 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
On Saturday, 11 April 2015 00:44:16 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
nt wrote:
On Friday, 10 April 2015 19:10:36 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article
,

These days almost any multimeter is good enough for diy. Just
dont use some of them north of the CU's fuses, for that you
need a suitable category rating.

Having had a quite expensive DVM blow up on mains, I'll not use
one for that any more. Have a proper mains test stick one for
that - more convenient too.

BTW, no more volts 'north of the CU' in the average UK house
anyway. ;-)

Its the i squared t that's the problem

You using jump leads instead of test leads?

Are you unfamiliar with how multimeters can kill people?

All too familiar which is why I won't use one on mains. ;-) There are
far better designed devices designed specifically for this job.

Last week I picked up a used but in perfect condition high voltage probe
made by AVO. When used in conjunction with my good 'ol British AVO
***ANALOGUE*** meter, I can now measure voltages of up to 32kV.
Try doing that with one of your BnQ ten quid specials.