Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Monday, 6 April 2015 12:39:30 UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:
Hi -

I'm sick of using £5 Chinese DMM's off ebay. They don't seem to last 5
minutes before the test leads break, and I don't trust their accuracy much.

Is there a decent DIY level DMM - maybe around £40-50 - which anyone
could recommend? I know I'm not going to get a Fluke for that, but I
just want something sturdy & reliable.

Testing requirements are mainly home (UK 230v) and car (12v), just
ordinary stuff about continuity, resistance, volts and milliamps etc.

Thanks

PS - Have tried anglegrinder... :-)

Test leads are trivial to replace. I've got a good variety of meters, including a batch of £2 jobs for a job when I wanted to measure lots of things at once, and quite honestly I've not had problems with any of them... other than:
leads breaking
leads coming out far enough to not make contact
These days almost any multimeter is good enough for diy. Just dont use some of them north of the CU's fuses, for that you need a suitable category rating.

NT