Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Replacement oven element - earth connection?

I need to replace an oven heating element, having just been contacted by a
tenant of mine to say that said element has died.

The oven is a Baumatic B100SS-B, and I seem to have found a replacement
online OK (18 GBP from an ebay seller). However, while searching for this
item at different retailers, I came across some info in customer reviews
which worried me somewhat.

All of the 6 or 7 pictures of the replacement which I've just seen show
this element has two terminals. However, at least two customer reviews
suggest that the original had three terminals, and that a bodge was
necessary to fit it.

eg http://tinyurl.com/kqw7mpa "Unfortunately this element is not exactly
the same as it is pictured. It is missing the middle connection for the
ground wire however with a few adjustments I was still able to use it"

and http://tinyurl.com/nz3dpcg "Easy to fit, this has no earthing point
like the original but just re-route this connection to the main cooker
earthing point"

Obviously ideally I'd dismantly my own oven to check it out; however being
in a rented property, if possible I'd rather jusr buy the element and then
go round once to fit the thing. So I wondered if anyone could shed any
light on what might be going on here? Would you expect an element to have
an earthing point, and if so, why would it be omitted?

--
David