Z80

Default Rechargeable NiCad battery pack

Hi can someone help me with this please
I have two rechargeable NiCad packs for an 18V electric drill. Recently one
of the packs would not recharge. At first I assumed it had reached the end
of it's life, but I thought I would take a look inside before I threw it
away as it is not that old. I found that there is a third terminal which is
monitored by the charger and connected between this terminal and the
negative side of the battery is a small component.
On the good battery pack when measured with a DVM this component measures
0.5R in either direction - whereas on the bad pack this component measures
disconnected either way.
My question is - does anyone know what this component is? and I don't think
it is a 0.5R resistor! it looks like a small diode, it has a glass (or
silicon) case about the size of a IN4148 - it is unmarked - maybe a zener?
Thanks for any info. Alan

---