Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
They are way too heavy* for portable use and always occupied far too
much bench space. They are the kind of thing the soviets would have
made, good in their day, maybe 50 years ago but not IMHO now. No need
to buy nasty exploding DMM's either especially at the 40 quid price
point.

* Circa 6lb for an Avo 8 vs 6 ounces for a 40 quid brand new Fluke 101

Apart from being British and that they might survive a nuclear
apocalypse I can't see *any* other redeeming features.

I have one here. Can't remember when it was last used. Having to search
for expensive batteries - rather than getting one in the local shop -
would make it a PITA for most. Apart from the bulk.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.