Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Tue, 7 Apr 2015 20:48:53 +0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Apr 2015 11:01:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My experience says a £40 or so DVM from the far east is likely to be ok.
For many, a Fluke is simply too expensive for casual use.

40 notes these days will buy you a lovely s/h AVO model 8 and it'll last
a lifetime. I bought a model 7 the other day for 15 quid and it's built
like a tank and will measure up to 1200V with zero risk of exploding in
your face - unlike those ridiculous cheap AND nasty DVMs where you're
taking your life in your hands with just normal mains voltages.
Real quality never dates.

They are way too heavy* for portable use and always occupied far too much bench
space. They are the kind of thing the soviets would have made, good in their
day, maybe 50 years ago but not IMHO now. No need to buy nasty exploding DMM's
either especially at the 40 quid price point.

* Circa 6lb for an Avo 8 vs 6 ounces for a 40 quid brand new Fluke 101

Apart from being British and that they might survive a nuclear apocalypse I
can't see *any* other redeeming features.