Posted to uk.d-i-y
290jkl 290jkl is offline

Default I thought this was a DIY site

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , hugh
writes
If we ever have computer driven pods, I suspect a good mix of sizes
would make most sense, along with the ability for them to connect
and permit passengers to walk through from one to the next, maybe
while in motion.

I doubt that they would link physically, although they may well link
electronically, allowing them to travel much closer than if they were
driving individually.

Linking physically has some real upsides, and should be doable safely on
dual carriageways and other wide roads.

Mulling over the driverless car mixed with conventional human operators,
I think there may need to be changes to the current highway code.

F'rinstance..... minor road crossing a major one. Two vehicles arrive at
the same time, both turning right. Humans will make eye contact and
proceed safely. Obviously, two computer controlled pods could do the same
but how do you cater for one of each? Worse still if a mixed queue forms.

NT

You could cut across the pod knowing it would give way to you rather than
hit you.

OK for the cognoscenti but what about us geriatrics?

Euthanasia for you.

Rush hour driving to Watford recently, I have been reminded of the wide
range of driving skills/foolhardiness displayed across the range of
drivers encountered. A pod could readily slot onto a busy roundabout as
does the youngster in a VW GTi:-)

Apparently, Microsoft are assembling a team to progress something to do
with traffic management in Singapore.