Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On 06/04/2015 12:39, Steve Walker wrote:
Hi -

I'm sick of using £5 Chinese DMM's off ebay. They don't seem to last 5
minutes before the test leads break, and I don't trust their accuracy much.

What do you do to them? Even my cheapest and nastiest sacrificial
multimeter is still going strong as is a venerable Model 7 Avo
secondhand in the 1970's (though it doesn't get much use these days).

You can get replacement test leads for most brands.

Is there a decent DIY level DMM - maybe around £40-50 - which anyone
could recommend? I know I'm not going to get a Fluke for that, but I
just want something sturdy & reliable.

Testing requirements are mainly home (UK 230v) and car (12v), just
ordinary stuff about continuity, resistance, volts and milliamps etc.

Around £25 ought to be enough to get a half decent one and you may get
frequency, capacitance, diode and transistor gain testing as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proster-Digi...rds=multimeter

(an example not a recommendation)

Thing you need to decide is do you want autoranging or not.

You could probably do better on RapidOnline and nicer test leads but the
saving might well be eaten up by deliver charge under £40.

Thanks

PS - Have tried anglegrinder... :-)

--
Regards,