Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using Gmail accounts in Outlook [OT in uk.d-i-y]

On 06/04/15 14:01, wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 06/04/15 10:18,
wrote:
Mayayana wrote:
| What happens if you use SSL on port 465?
|

| Slightly different error message (compared with using port 995) - but
| still no go!

465 and 995 are for outgoing and incoming
respectively. If you use both, with SSL, I don't
know of any more secure option, other than maybe
using secure password authentication.

Secure against what? E-Mail is insecure. Authenticating yourself
when reading/writing mail is all very well but doesn't prevent anyone
either impersonating you or intercepting your mail on its way to you
or from you.

however using ssh does make man in the middle attacks harder.

But unless you're using a text mode client such as mutt (which I do by
the way) then ssh doesn't come into it. You don't use ssh with
thunderbird, eudora or any of the GUI clients. (OK, you *could* be
using 'ssh -X' to run a GUI remotely but that's usually too slow to be
practical).

I meant that using the secure smtp protocol ..thats the standard these
days. Fully encrypted at least to the mail relay, and possibly beyond that.

I misremebered it its SSL, not SSH - sorry.