Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Decent Digital Multimeter for DIY?

On Mon, 06 Apr 2015 18:50:09 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
I've no connection with either seller, both might be cheaper from
China / HK but you may get knobbled with VAT/Duty/Parcelfarce/Rolyal
Mail 'Handling Fees'

I never have been. On Ebay if is says free postage that's what happens.
Never did understand why - having been charged VAT etc on stuff of the
same cost from the US.

Yes the postage if declared as such will be at no cost but never underestimate
the ****s at any of the couriers in the UK who look at how much they can screw
out of the end user in import duty, vat and then extortionate fees for
collecting that import duty and vat, maybe with vat added to that fee.

If I occasionally get knobbled by them now I'm a bit more relaxed about it
because I'm a very long way ahead after a big price item sailed past them a few
years back.

But I'd far sooner customs concentrate on the illegal stuff like drugs and
weapons rather than **** about collecting duty and vat on low priced consumer or
industrial items (say anything under 500 quid)