Posted to uk.d-i-y
RobertL RobertL is offline

Default Coal delivery and elfin safety

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 9:04:28 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 01/04/2015 20:31, Lobster wrote:
We had a coal delivery today - our normal 3 x 50kg sacks.

As usual, it arrived on a flatbed truck, driven by one guy, who lugged each
bag on his back round to the back of our house and deposited it in the
bunker.

Poor bugger looked absolutely knackered; I was wondering - isn't that sort
of lifting way outside the current elfin safety guidelines? It's a well-
known, long established firm,so I'd be surprised if they just brazenly
flouted the rules, but...?

Dunno. It's how we always got our coal when I was a kid. And they were 1
cwt bags - which were slightly heavier than 50 Kg!

Yes, and I remember 20 of them (i.e 1 ton) being delivered and shoulder carried from lorry to coal hole. As a kid my job was to be seen to be counting them.

1 cwt is indeed slightly heavier than 50kg, but only by a tiny bit. A (long) ton is 20 cwt =2240 lbs; a metric tonne is 1000kg ~= 2204 lbs.

Robert