Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Coal delivery and elfin safety

On 01/04/2015 20:31, Lobster wrote:
We had a coal delivery today - our normal 3 x 50kg sacks.

As usual, it arrived on a flatbed truck, driven by one guy, who lugged each
bag on his back round to the back of our house and deposited it in the
bunker.

Poor bugger looked absolutely knackered; I was wondering - isn't that sort
of lifting way outside the current elfin safety guidelines? It's a well-
known, long established firm,so I'd be surprised if they just brazenly
flouted the rules, but...?

ISTR there is a recognised industrial injury that comes from repeatedly
carrying coal sacks on the shoulder. Coalman's hump or coalman's
shoulder, or something like that.

It doesn't really sound as though they have carried out a proper risk
assessment of the job. I would have thought that they should, at a
minimum, have provided him with a sack truck. A small crane or tail
lift, to get the sacks off the lorry, as well would be even better.

--
Colin Bignell