Leif Neland

Default 12V DC mobile power supply (battery pack)

js_530 wrote:
"Andrew Kesterson" wrote in message
.. .
I have been looking on google and can't find anything on this
subject.

I want to take a mobile CB radio, designed to run off of a 12 volt
power line in an automotive vehicle, and convert it to run on 9V, C,
or D cell batteries so I can put it in a backpack and take it with
me when I go on long hikes away from home and the like, and talk
back to a base station in the house.

Would it be as simple as connecting a bunch of batteries together in
circuit and using a resistor (or series of resistors) to lower the
current (if too high), or using an amplifier to raise it?

You could not get a voltage higher than what you have from the
batteries, so the amplifier cannot be used. You need 12 volts or
higher from the batteries, because there's probally a good reason the
radio runs on 12 volts. If you had a voltage higher than 12 volts,
you could use a 12 volt regulator, but not resistors. The radio is
non-linear, and changes resistance based on whether or not it's being
used, so a regulator is needed. You might want to see how much
current the radio draws, and buy a 12 volt regulator higher than your
maximum current rating. If you are using a source slightly higher
than 12 volts, than you need a minimum voltage dropoff rating on the
regulator of the difference between the battery voltage and 12 volts.

´
"12V" in a car ís at least 13.6V, and the CB will probably survive 15 v or
so at least.

Leif