Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default PAT test and a H&S report

On 24/03/2015 02:34, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 23/03/2015 22:04, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ARW adamwadsworth@blueyond
er.co.uk escribió:

How do you get the 2 round pins into the two rectangular holes without the
plastic earth pin?

You use a convenient 13A plug upside-down

Thus highlighting one of the ways in which those multi socket strips do
not actually meet BS1363 - which stipulates there must be sufficient
area around the holes to prevent a plug being inserted in that way,

I was not aware of such a requirement and I can't see any such
statement in BS1363-2 (sockets) or BS1363-3 (adaptors).

It was in one of the diagrams IIRC - I will have a look later see if I
can find it.

Some people have been pushing for such a requirement, but in my
view it's completely pointless as you could use something else
to open the shutters instead, possibly causing more harm in the
process (e.g. permanently spreading the earth pin contacts so
they don't make a good contact in the future).

--
Cheers,

John.