Form@C

Default 12V DC mobile power supply (battery pack)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:08:50 +0000, SB wrote:

Well, you don't often hear about guys being pulled over at CB checkpoints!
It's one of those things that isn't enforced until it HAS to be. So
basically, if mods made to a radio DON'T interfere with someone then I
doubt you'll hear otherwise.

....probably 'cos you have either got it set right or are running such low
power that no-one can hear you. :-)

There's plenty of Ham radio guys that build their own radio that don't
have to get it certified....however, those bands are all based on
etiquette.

They are also based on learning how to set the gear up, and what to test
for. It isn't all that easy to build a transmitter that is legal. Even the
amateurs get into a lot of trouble if they don't set their gear up
properly! Many years ago we used to get away with all sorts of lash-up
valve transmitters, but with increasing demands on bandwidth - and a lot
of commercial people that begrudge the amateurs *any* space at all - it
has become far more important to keep the transmitters as "clean" as
possible.

As far as poor mods....well, I wouldn't call it a mod if nobody

else can
hear you cuz your mod is killing your signal (bad quality/etc.).

LOL! - not a very effective mod either...
I once did a mod on an old CB rig to move it into the 28MHz band. It
worked, but as I was never able to check it properly for transmitted
harmonics, it has spent almost all it's modded life disconnected! It
wasn't helped that my licence didn't cover 28MHz at the time anyway... ;-)

I have an old airband radio (ex SAR guy gave it to me) and he had it
"opened" up.
This didn't let me transmit on any extra bands, but it did let me listen
to a lot more...basically turned it in to a scanner....

That should be ok. The receiver section doesn't cause problems (in most
cases - before someone mentions TRFs!)

At work, we're expecting some issues with US wireless LANs interfereing
with our transmitters. The Canadian made LAN equipment has provisions
to keep out of our band, but being so close to the US allows easy
importing of equipment that will drop on us in the band. We're lucky at
the moment that we're out in the boonies but will have issues in our
suburban equipment. We've made our complaints and the FCC/Industry
Canada are checking things....but if nobody complains it's not a big
deal.

Looks like you could be having some fun there... I bet there will be some
complaints of corrupted or insecure data before long.

--
Cheers...
Mick