Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Removing concrete pond

On 23/03/2015 00:49, sfrazi wrote:
Hi,

I am having problems in trying to remove a concrete pond that was built
by the previous owners.

I have drained the pond using a water pump and drilled a number of holes
at the bottom of the pond using a jack hammer. I thought this would have
meant any remaining water would quickly drain away, instead the
remaining water is still there. In some instances I have drilled at
least 7 to 8 inches below the concrete and the water just ends up
filling the hole I created.

Is this expected? I have little knowledge of landscaping so was hoping
for some advice.

Sounds like the water table is about the depth of the pond. I have a
similar problem with my garage pit. I have to siphon/pump the water out
before it is usable. There is an old well 5m away from it.

I want to completely get rid of the pond and blend it in with the rest
of the lawn but am worried this area will get waterlogged without
adequate drainage.

It is possible the pond was put there originally to make a decent
looking garden feature out of an area with inadequate drainage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown