SB

Default 12V DC mobile power supply (battery pack)

Well, you don't often hear about guys being pulled over at CB checkpoints!
It's one of those things that isn't enforced until it HAS to be. So
basically, if mods made to a radio DON'T interfere with someone then I doubt
you'll hear otherwise.

There's plenty of Ham radio guys that build their own radio that don't have
to get it certified....however, those bands are all based on etiquette.

As far as poor mods....well, I wouldn't call it a mod if nobody else can
hear you cuz your mod is killing your signal (bad quality/etc.).

I have an old airband radio (ex SAR guy gave it to me) and he had it
"opened" up.
This didn't let me transmit on any extra bands, but it did let me listen to
a lot more...basically turned it in to a scanner....

At work, we're expecting some issues with US wireless LANs interfereing with
our transmitters. The Canadian made LAN equipment has provisions to keep
out of our band, but being so close to the US allows easy importing of
equipment that will drop on us in the band. We're lucky at the moment that
we're out in the boonies but will have issues in our suburban equipment.
We've made our complaints and the FCC/Industry Canada are checking
things....but if nobody complains it's not a big deal.

"Form@C" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:23:34 +0000, SB wrote:

IS it illegal?? Both FRS and CB bands are open....no license required!

It's the transmit power that's the regulated portion of each (5W for CB
and not sure for FRS).

Yep, the restrictions are on the radiated power, frequency band and
modulation modes. OK, so may be *possible* to change any or all of these
but you arn't going to do it and keep the equipment legal unless you can
set it up correctly. You arn't going to do that without the proper test
equipment! It is one thing to change a crystal but something else
to *prove* that the new one or the coil tweaks needed to make it work
arn't introducing harmonic signals all over the band. Whether it is
economically feasible to make the mods is something else... :-)

I haven't looked at the radio regs for a long time, but at one time I
think it atually *was* illegal to make modifications to a CB rig. They
were type-tested and certified - carrying the CB/27 symbol. Any mods meant
that the certification was automatically lost, making them illegal. There
are probably still clauses like this as well as those limiting the type of
aerial that can be connected (restricting the erp).

If he's thinking of FRS then dump the CB idea....traffic seems to be
getting less and less all the time (just the odd trucker looking for a
good place to chow!).

Dunno. I gave up on CB many years ago - before I took my RAE. Sounds like
the OP only wants a radio link back to base so it probably doesn't matter
which he uses providing he can get enough range.

--
Cheers...
Mick