Form@C

Default 12V DC mobile power supply (battery pack)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:23:34 +0000, SB wrote:

IS it illegal?? Both FRS and CB bands are open....no license required!

It's the transmit power that's the regulated portion of each (5W for CB
and not sure for FRS).

Yep, the restrictions are on the radiated power, frequency band and
modulation modes. OK, so may be *possible* to change any or all of these
but you arn't going to do it and keep the equipment legal unless you can
set it up correctly. You arn't going to do that without the proper test
equipment! It is one thing to change a crystal but something else
to *prove* that the new one or the coil tweaks needed to make it work
arn't introducing harmonic signals all over the band. Whether it is
economically feasible to make the mods is something else... :-)

I haven't looked at the radio regs for a long time, but at one time I
think it atually *was* illegal to make modifications to a CB rig. They
were type-tested and certified - carrying the CB/27 symbol. Any mods meant
that the certification was automatically lost, making them illegal. There
are probably still clauses like this as well as those limiting the type of
aerial that can be connected (restricting the erp).

If he's thinking of FRS then dump the CB idea....traffic seems to be
getting less and less all the time (just the odd trucker looking for a
good place to chow!).

Dunno. I gave up on CB many years ago - before I took my RAE. Sounds like
the OP only wants a radio link back to base so it probably doesn't matter
which he uses providing he can get enough range.

--
Cheers...
Mick