Seth Koster

Default 12V DC mobile power supply (battery pack)

"Andrew Kesterson" wrote in message .. .
I have been looking on google and can't find anything on this subject.

I want to take a mobile CB radio, designed to run off of a 12 volt
power line in an automotive vehicle, and convert it to run on 9V, C, or D
cell batteries so I can put it in a backpack and take it with me when I go
on long hikes away from home and the like, and talk back to a base station
in the house.

Would it be as simple as connecting a bunch of batteries together in
circuit and using a resistor (or series of resistors) to lower the current
(if too high), or using an amplifier to raise it?

8 1.5V batteries will give you 12V (C or D), the circuit will draw
the amperage it needs (probably more than you want, considering
battery life). You might consider buying one of those handy talky
type radios which are designed to run on batteries.

I have some basic electronics books on these subjects (basic, basic
digital, and basic communications electronics books from radio shack), but
I wanted to get some input before I went and tried to do something and
blew up my radio. :-)

Would this be possible using the methods I described? Would I need other
methods? Or would I just need to give it up and try something else?

(Also, does anyone know where I might find information about changing the
frequencies the radio runs on? If I could find a way to make it run on the
same frequencies as some smaller GMRS radios I have, that'd be awesome...
but from what I understand it would probably require changing the entire
guts of the radio... so if that's not feasible don't worry too much about
it. :-)

Sure its possible, its also illegal and harder than just getting a
ham radio license and then getting a lot more range by applying good
antenna designs to a good ham band radio.