Vidor Wolf

Default 12V DC mobile power supply (battery pack)

"Andrew Kesterson" wrote in message
news
I have been looking on google and can't find anything on this subject.

I want to take a mobile CB radio, designed to run off of a 12 volt
power line in an automotive vehicle, and convert it to run on 9V, C, or D
cell batteries so I can put it in a backpack and take it with me when I go
on long hikes away from home and the like, and talk back to a base station
in the house.

Would it be as simple as connecting a bunch of batteries together in
circuit and using a resistor (or series of resistors) to lower the current
(if too high), or using an amplifier to raise it?

I have some basic electronics books on these subjects (basic, basic
digital, and basic communications electronics books from radio shack), but
I wanted to get some input before I went and tried to do something and
blew up my radio. :-)

Would this be possible using the methods I described? Would I need other
methods? Or would I just need to give it up and try something else?

(Also, does anyone know where I might find information about changing the
frequencies the radio runs on? If I could find a way to make it run on the
same frequencies as some smaller GMRS radios I have, that'd be awesome...
but from what I understand it would probably require changing the entire
guts of the radio... so if that's not feasible don't worry too much about
it. :-)

Thanks alot in advance

About 20 years ago, I was doing the same thing with UK CB radios.
If I remember correctly, I was modding the tiny (and crappy) Maxon 21E with
10 x AA NiCads in a holder on its back..
Gave around 13 Volts and lasted quite well.
I used and external telescopic aerial with either a center or base loaded
coil (depended on what was available).
I think Midland also made a similar commercial set to this.
You could also try a small 12Volt Gel Cell.
Cheers.
Mark.