Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y
Martin Gregorie Martin Gregorie is offline

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

On 2015-03-11, John F wrote:

"Robert Heller" wrote in message
At 11 Mar 2015 17:45:37 GMT Charlie Gibbs
wrote:

[45 lines snipped]

A friend recently lost a lot of valuable photos due to Cloud failure.
Even if there's no malice involved, **** happens.

My advice is never to store anything "in the cloud" unless you can
afford to have it stolen or lost.

Exactly - and you can purchase a 1TB drive and a fireproof safe to put
it in for less than the cost of a years rental on a good cloud server -
even if the cloud server is free, it costs you in terms of dealing with
the advertizing and spyware etc delivered with all the public services
nowadays

You don't even need the safe if you have somewhere "off site" to store
the disk - I keep mine in my locker at work.

Get two backup disks and backup to them alternately. This way you always
have the previous backup in its offline storage no matter what happens,
even in the worst case: a massive power spike during a backup that fries
both the PC and the disk you were backing up to when it happened.

The really careful and/or paranoid will use a cycle of at least three
backup disks.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK