Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:42:35 -0700, John F wrote:

Exactly - and you can purchase a 1TB drive and a fireproof safe to put
it in for less than the cost of a years rental on a good cloud server -
even if the cloud server is free, it costs you in terms of dealing with
the advertizing and spyware etc delivered with all the public services
nowadays

I'm involved with a not-for-profit which uses Dropbox reasonably heavily.
Data is backed-up automatically to DB, and then the DB account accessed
by several people around the country and, on occasion, internationally.

I see no ads, because I run adblockers on all my machines. I'm sure
others do likewise.

So what does it "cost" the organisation?