Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y
Charlie Gibbs Charlie Gibbs is offline

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

On 2015-03-10, John F wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message

On 04/03/15 19:51, Dan Espen wrote:

Huh?

What exactly are you trying to protect? Are your kids especially ugly?

I've taken plenty of pictures of people in the water.
I don't see the issue.

It's not a big surprise, someone not trusting external cloud providers.
Have you not seem the amount of pics hacked off various photo sharing
sites that the user really did not want to have in the public domain?

So it's not something I need to defend really - I just don't want all my
personal stuff on someone else's servers. I have no problem with using
Google Calendar because I never have anything that interesting in there.
But if I were running an innovative company and used it to store all sorts
if meetings with interesting people, then I would think twice.

Sort of ends up being much more secure on your own servers - they are not
even that expensive anymore, and there is much much less likelyhood of
getting your pics ripped off and other private things - !

And once you've backed everything up on an external drive, once you unplug
that drive, _nobody_ can touch it.

A friend recently lost a lot of valuable photos due to Cloud failure.
Even if there's no malice involved, **** happens.

--
/~\ lid (Charlie Gibbs)