rayjking

Default 2N3055

A glass diode will also generate a small photo voltage ( glass IN4001 to
IN4007 series )

Ray

"Robert Baer" wrote in message
Predator wrote:

I heard I can make a really small solar cell from a 2N3055 if I make it

open
the case it is and expose the silicon on a light source
is that true? also what is tha output rating if anyone tested it?

Since the 70's, many photodetectors were made comercially by taking a
small-signal transistor (in standard metal can), cutting the top off,
and fastening a lens at the top.
Then Fairchild designed one that was optimized for photodetection; the
die had a dinky emitter in one corner, making 98% or so of the area as
base-collector for photons; two versions: flat and curved lens; both
plastic (FPT-100 is the only one of them i remember).
These had orders of magnitude greater sensitivity, with similar speed
and slightly better noise characteristics.
A power transistor gives more B-C area, but a lot of the collector
area is wasted by the large emitter.
Too damn bad the FPT-100 is no longer being made...