The Al Bundy

Default 2N3055

"Predator" schreef in bericht
I heard I can make a really small solar cell from a 2N3055 if I make it

open
the case it is and expose the silicon on a light source
is that true? also what is tha output rating if anyone tested it?

I guess any silicon can generate a small current when exposed to light. I
think the current depends mostly on the surface area of the silicon.
Even a LED generates a current, but it is very very low (some nA-uA.)
because the die is small.

So just try it out, cut the head from the 2N3055 and connect a multimeter
between B-E / B-C. You will measure some voltage, but when connecting a
small load to it this voltage will drop.

Al