Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multi meter ?

brought next idea :
Well, you might like to list their good qualities.

They were very well built, robust and accurate for their time. They
were the standard in all of the workshops in the UK, as already said
the BBC and special versions were built for military use.

The nearest I came across was the
Selectatest. When you mentioned a multi-meter, everyone called them an
AVO, just like everyone calls a vacuum cleaner and Hoover.

no they didnt

Yes they did and its an habit I only recently got out of.

I was so used to using them, they were like an old pair of boots, but
boy were they clumsy. I bought, or rather built my first digital in
around 1970 - it wasn't that much less clumsy than the AVO.

For old times sake, a few years ago I decided to see if I could track
one down, just for the pleasure of using one again. I bought one AVO8
and was given a second AVO8, to add to my Selectatest. The AVO 8 is a
much better unit than the Selectatest, much more refined.

Digital, even with a bargraph doesn't come close to a moving pointer,
for a varying value, so mine still get used occasionally.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)