Posted to uk.d-i-y
john james[_2_] john james[_2_] is offline

Default Multi meter ?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 08/03/2015 18:37, ss wrote:
On 08/03/2015 16:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have one cheapy meter which fits the above bill, which has survived
for years - nice big digits, if you put it on the continuity or
resistance range then connect it to the mains, it would just shut the
display down, then recover without releasing the smoke.

Ok you have given me lots of options but with hindsight I am not sure I
should bother with the multimeter for now as I am still struggling to
work out what I would use it for based on the following.

Based on what you have, then for your primary purpose, one of the testers
linked previously would seem ideal. I expect the only other thing you
would likely use a MM for is continuity or resistance checks to perhaps
test fuses, and lamps etc.

I do use mine for a variety of other things like checking the
polarity of plug packs that don't bother to label that, and
to see which ones have died and stuff like that that your
neon screwdriver and volt stick won't be much use for.

And the price, IMO you would be mad not to have one.