Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Smart meters

In message , at 19:34:17 on Sun, 8 Mar
2015, john james remarked:

The backlight is probably the biggest power consumption factor in a TV.

I don't buy that.

There's some numbers here :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ht,2930-5.html

Executive summary:

For LED the delta for 25% *brightness setting* change is 3W, so at zero
brightness the total (ie the consumption of the non-backlight components
alone) would be ~16W, while at 100% brightness the backlight is
consuming 29-16 = 13 watts. I doubt there's any one non-backlight
component taking 13 watts (of the 16 watts) on its own.

Meanwhile, the delta between black and white visible *content* is
smaller, at about 1W, which is the fluctuation we'd need to be looking
for.

CCFL similarly.

I've got a large non-LED TV as a computer monitor and I can feel the
heat coming off the screen from six inches away.

Yes, but that isn't the backlight.

What is it then (it goes away when I put the screen into standby).

--
Roland Perry