Posted to uk.d-i-y
john james[_2_] john james[_2_] is offline

Default Smart meters

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 08:27:24 on Sun, 8 Mar
2015, john james remarked:
The TV programme thing is also related to being able to filter out a
pattern where the power consumption of the TV varies with the
brightness of the picture,

I'm not convinced that it does anymore with modern TVs.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...ur-hdtv_Page-4

...the dynamic contrast feature carried by most LCD and a few
plasma TVs. The idea behind these is that the TV continually
assesses the content of the picture you're watching, to see how
bright or dark a shot is. And if it detects that a shot is
predominantly dark, it will reduce the TV's light output in a
bid to make blacks look less grey. Then, when it detects a scene
that's brighter, it will up the light output again to give this
scene more intensity.

Still not convinced that it changes the consumption of the
whole TV enough to make any real measurable difference.

The backlight is probably the biggest power consumption factor in a TV.

I don't buy that.

I've got a large non-LED TV as a computer monitor and I can feel the heat
coming off the screen from six inches away.

Yes, but that isn't the backlight.