Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

In uk.comp.os.linux Tim Watts wrote:
It would be fun to sniff the conversation between Drive and my computer
- with a minimal client so I don't see all the web supporting stuff.

There are clients like:
https://github.com/astrada/google-drive-ocamlfuse
https://github.com/iwonbigbro/gsync
https://www.jobnix.in/dropbox-comman...ce-cli-client/

I don't know of their maturity. Bolting on encryption is another
question.

However, even encrypted I don't think this is the full solution. Because
the model is that everything lives primarily in the cloud, whereas we're
using the cloud as simply a disposable cache of what we have locally. That
means they don't present the unified worldview of 'here are all the files
you can have, but some of them will take longer' that a remote FS would do.

Theo