Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y
Rich Rich is offline

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

In comp.os.linux.misc Tim Watts wrote:
On 04/03/15 23:47, Theo Markettos wrote:
However they could be useful for transit. For instance, git is a
nice protocol because every working copy contains a full copy of
the history. That means I don't care if github goes under - I have
everything locally. So github is simply a nice website for
publishing the sources, and if github went away it wouldn't be much
effort to republish elsewhere. If the files are encrypted you also
don't need to worry about privacy (though metadata is still an
issue, and always the devil is in the key management).

So I could see how something like this could work - Dropbox et al
are just a transit provider for sharing stuff back to base. This
also means they're a commodity conduit - if Dropbox are charging
£silly, just switch to OneDrive (or whoever). The one thing I
don't see this doing is sending a request to the NAS saying 'please
put file XXX in Dropbox so I can see it' - maybe there's a way
round that. Or maybe you just say 'you can only view the photos
when you're at home'.

It would be fun to sniff the conversation between Drive and my
- computer with a minimal client so I don't see all the web
- supporting stuff.

I *wonder* if it is something that could be reverse engineered into a
home server...

Another item that has not been mentioned yet is git annex:
https://git-annex.branchable.com/

Disclaimer, never used it. Also don't know how well it 'interfaces'
with android/chromebooks. Both of which, while running Free Software
Linux underneath the hood have much more in common with proprietary
software than Free Software. Note that on both, even though the
engine/transmission is Linux, ship in their default config with the
hood (bonnet) firmly locked down against end user modification.

Git annex's webpage description does talk about keeping sync in the
face of intermittent/mobile network connection.