Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Postcrete - whether to mix in agrigate or not?

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:
On Tue, 3 Mar 2015 20:59:51 -0000, "harryagain"
wrote:

Posts last longest in the metal post spikes.
Also quicker to erect.
Any form of burial leads to rot in a few years especially now the treament
on the timber is such crap. ie no arsenic/copper allowed any more.

Much depends on the subsoil, and where you live. Our top-soil is
shallow, and gets very stony deeper than say 8" and with some quite
big stones, so it's difficult to drive Metposts in and keep them
straight. I set some fence posts in Postcrete nearly 15 years ago, and
they're still fine. No additional aggregate, BTW, there was plenty in
it already. Within that time, the council put up a post and rail fence
along a roadside verge nearby, using Metposts. They disintegrated
within a few years; we are by the sea and have a lot of salt in the
air. If stainless or heavy galvanised Metposts were available, they
might be OK, if they could be driven in straight.

I put some in 30 years ago, and they're still fine. The make was
Fensock which no longer exists AFAIK, and they were better quality
than the Meta make today.

--
Andrew Gabriel