Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

On 04/03/15 17:01, Dan Espen wrote:
The Natural Philosopher writes:

This is so much a wintroll type post.

Maybe, but I prefer to see it as a technical question.
No need to be antagonistic, even if the post reads like
an attempt to push some peoples buttons.

Well - OK, I pushed some buttons. But hey, it got a lively debate with
some interesting ideas... But no, I am hard core Linux, but not so hard
core that I fail to see the world changing

I think there is a simple solution to the requirements as
I understand them.

It would look that way - which is why I am amazed that in weeks (ad hoc)
of googling I have not found a really good solution yet.

I've found lots of 50-80% solutions though...

Technically Google Drive and Dropbox have 100% but fail on the "not
private, and not trustworthy" criteria. But they prove the prove the
problem is solvable.

The commercial software guys (Tonido, Owncloud etc) just don't quite get
it - they seem to be suffering from the "those who don't understand unix
are doomed to reinvent it - poorly" syndrome.

The key point is "multiple users, POSIX/NTFS+AD mapping" - Oooh wouldn't
that be a good idea... Doh.

I do understand that the community/free versions will be clipped but to
have nothing between that and a $9000 50 user/year licence fee is insane
(yes, one of them charges that much). Even VMWare understood the concept
of a hobbyist's license and those guys are not known for being cheap.