Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.comp.os.linux,uk.comp.os.linux

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...smanager&hl=en

Thank you - will check that out later.

This is so much a wintroll type post.

"I want EXACTLY what I used to have in Windows for nothing on Linux, and
if Linux can't do it exactly .linux sucks'

Now you're making me laugh - because you of all people know that I am a
linux die hard!

Note I am not criticising linux, but making a pertinent observation
that, after all the massive effort that went into cracking SMB (and I
remember that effort, late 90's) I am SO surprised that noone (not even
an MIT student project) has come along and said - this is actually not
so hard, and just did it.

Bit like the way we all put up with that PoS WU-IMAPd then Timo Sirainen
came along and said "this is ******** - here I just wrote dovecot and
solved all the logic problems cleanly".

Ditto Philip Hazel and exim.

The complication here is the massive array of client devices that need
supporting. It would probably be a good approach to be able to emulate a
Google Drive server protocol (then we don't care about teh client
software because it exists).

There is a strong risk that Google will then say "**** you, we just
upgraded the protocol". However, by that time, if the server is proven,
people would have a chance to write replacement clients without it being
an "all at once" problem.

In short if you want a commercial cloud behaviour stick to commercial
clouds.

That was rather the point. Those guys have proved it can be done well.
But there needs to be an opensource version that works as well (and
there isn't).