Posted to uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,uk.d-i-y
HarpingOn[_2_] HarpingOn[_2_] is offline

Default Opensource slowing down? "GoogleDrive" private cloud

On 04/03/2015 13:14, Tim Watts wrote:
I have raised this before... And tried some stuff. And I cannot believe
there is no solution... hence the first part of the subject.

The problem: "How do I make an existing linux file server be a private
cloud file server, targeting other linux, ChromeBooks and Android clients?"

There is a LOT of stuff that misses out of critical features - or those
features need a paid-for version that costs $1700-9000 per year.

I've played with Tonido and OwnCloud so far.

Obvious omissions in the free versions:

a Limited shares (OwnCloud only seems to support 1 exported directory -
I have lots);

b (Serious) Do not integrate with POSIX users. The idea is the file
sharing should integrate with linux, not try and take over.

I did look at OpenAFS but there's no Android client.

SFTP so far offers the simplest solution but I can find no nice clients
that offer local copies (caching) so it is still somewhat half arsed.
And i suspect the basic nature of the protocol is it would be hard work
to make caching multiple client copies work.

OK - allowing for the fact that "I could write it myself dammit"
(actually, no, I don't have that type of coding skill) I'm very
surprised such a killer app is missing from the opensource stable.

This is the same opensource that brought us *BSD, Linux, perl, python, 2
super RDBMSs, top rate image editing, rock solid *connected*
fileservices (NFS, SMB) allowing for the fact the latter had to be
reverse engineered.

Have all the creative types died?

I use Open Media Vault on a HP Microserver.

WebDAV might give you what you want

Chromebooks aren't very friendly to anything that isn't Google Drive,
although I have used webdav with mine.