Jimmy

Default switching small 5vdc load with 110vac

Use an opto isolator. connect the LED to 110 AC through the appropriate
droping resistor and connect the transistor output across the contacts. A
light bulb and a photo transistor may work better.
"Mike" wrote in message
I need to switch a very small 5vDC load with a 110vAC trigger. I wish to
keep my solution simple, and small. The 5vDC load is actually the button
contacts on a PC joystick. With my limited electronics experience, I

would
typically use a transformer to get the 110vac down to something usable

(like
12vdc). Then, I would use a 12vdc relay. While this is simple, it is not
small. Is there a single component solution, or even an IC that could do
this?? I was looking for a small (less than 1" cubed) 110vac relay but
could find nothing (my local dealer said that there isn't really an
application where 110vac is used to switch something that small, therefore
most 110vac relays will be larger to handle a larger load).
Any suggestions appreciated.
-Mike