Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default OT Apprentices and wages

"Windmill" wrote in message
fred writes:

In article , ARW
writes
The most interesting bit is the last sentence of the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31550473

I'm sure, "To support our hard-working apprentices . . . " had you
rolling on the floor like you were having a fit. Did anyone try to force
a stick between your teeth?

So what do you get paid these days if you go to college when you leave
school?

An excellent analogy, the NUS seems to forget that a wet behind the ears
'student' apprentice is about as productive as a bantam chick, that the
pay they receive reflects the training they are receiving and that they
get more pay as they become more productive.

I wonder how many would sign up if they had zero pay, had to pay for
their college courses and had to pay back 'apprentice' loans.

That's a very good point.

'Deferred gratification' is all very well, but at that age you want
sex, booze, drugs (nowadays), and so on.

What do you mean by "but at that age"? Are you suggesting that at some point
in my life I will not want them?

--
Adam