Posted to uk.d-i-y
Windmill[_5_] Windmill[_5_] is offline

Default OT Apprentices and wages

fred writes:

In article , ARW
writes
The most interesting bit is the last sentence of the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31550473

I'm sure, "To support our hard-working apprentices . . . " had you
rolling on the floor like you were having a fit. Did anyone try to force
a stick between your teeth?

So what do you get paid these days if you go to college when you leave
school?

An excellent analogy, the NUS seems to forget that a wet behind the ears
'student' apprentice is about as productive as a bantam chick, that the
pay they receive reflects the training they are receiving and that they
get more pay as they become more productive.

I wonder how many would sign up if they had zero pay, had to pay for
their college courses and had to pay back 'apprentice' loans.

That's a very good point.

'Deferred gratification' is all very well, but at that age you want
sex, booze, drugs (nowadays), and so on.

Presumably university students find a way to satisfy their needs!

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m