Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Ping TMH (or rather his daughter)

"Nightjar.me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 27/02/2015 14:56, Adrian wrote:
On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:36:11 +0000, Nightjar "cpb"@ wrote:

Considering that there are more than 20 different emergency numbers
around the world, mobile phones really ought to be able to redirect an
emergency call to the local services if the user dials the number they
know from home.

Which is great, but... If you happen to be in Bristol, pick up the phone
and dial 911, then pause, there are ten thousand possible valid phone
numbers you could be dialling. Only one of them is the US emergency
number.

Bristol may not be the only city where that applies.

Do mobiles recognise local land line numbers without the dialling code?

Yep.

I've never tried dialling from my mobile without including the dialling
code.

I do it all the time.

When using my mobile abroad, I always include the country code as well,
even when dialling a number local to where I am.