Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED streetlamps - jobs for the boys

On 26/02/15 14:02, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 13:57:26 -0000, whisky-dave
wrote:

On Wednesday, 25 February 2015 17:52:48 UTC, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 16:37:16 -0000, whisky-dave
wrote:

What I've noticed is teh digging up and replacement of paveing
slabs at bus stops. it was all done last year and the year before
that. I'm betting teh council have a bit of money left over and need
to spend it ASAP or they'll loose it, so they just spend it.

Doing that should be enough reason to sack someone. Budgets should
carry over.

But they don't, that's the facts getting in the way again.

A budget is not a law of Physics, there's no reason it cannot be
changed. Any private company would carry it over. What's wrong with
government depts?

A private company would carry its core budget (net worth) over year to
year inherently.

But I bet the bigger companies still run the depts like the government:

"You asked for X last year and did not spend it all - and Dept Z asked
for more this year and they did spend their budget last year, so we will
dock yours and give it to them"

The problem is that unless the company boss (or Chancellor) has
omniscience, (s)he cannot possibly know who is competantly compiling
their budget and who is just grabbing what they can.

Perhaps a compromise would be to let them keep a float budget over
several years. If they come in over budget or need a special purchase,
they can use the float and justify it later. They can make savings, come
in under budget, dock their next budget, get a pat on the head for
saving money and everyone wins.

If they cock up and overspend (without a good reason) they can use the
float to tide over, get a bollocking and then have future budgets
reviewed - but the float does not get put back straight away.

There must be a 100 ways to do the whole thing more sensibly. But this
is the country that has had the most ****ed up system of Stamp Duty on
conveyancing and took at least 60 years to fix it when the fix had to
have been one of the most trivial there was to make!