Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_5_] Graham.[_5_] is offline

Default Blown fuse

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015 07:19:57 -0000, "harryagain"
wrote:

"Terryokeefe" wrote in message

I have a New World Stowaway 411/1 back boiler which was in our house
when we bought it 30 years ago, up until Sunday we had not had a single
problem with it. On Sunday the 1 amp boiler fuse blew and at the moment
we have neither heating nor hot water. I have tried everywhere to get a
replacement fuse but have been told that the boiler is now obsolete. The
fuse is bigger than today's fuses therefore I wondering if anyone has an
idea where I would possibly get a replacement, if anywhere. Any ideas?
Thanks

If you are absolutely stuck, drill the end caps of the fuse and solder in
some wire.
You can strip down some flex to get a thin copper wire strand.

It is about a five amp rating BTW, so you have to be sure there is no actual
fault in this case.
On the other hand, the damage may already be done.

If the endcaps are not already drilled then heat them with a soldering
iron and flick them off, they are secured with some sort of hot-melt
glue.

Insert a strand of wire into the glass tube and fold over the edge,
then place the endcap back on while heating it with the iron again to
re-melt the glue. Perhaps suprisingly, the wire always makes good
contact.
I must have made hundreds of these "last resort" repairs over the
years.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%