Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Atomic energy toy

On 23/02/2015 15:38, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:44:29 -0000, Martin Brown

This glo torch is a particularly good example - after a day in sunlight
the torch plastic body emits enough light in total darkness to find it
by if the lights go out suddenly or to see by when dark adapted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glo-Torch-...-/181663763203

It will still keep glowing for several hours after exposure to the sun.

There are also the chemical glow sticks that use a combination of a
peroxide, dye and electron donor to generate cold chemical light.

I've never understood why people think it's the end of the world if
lights go out.

If it is pitch black and where I live on a moonless night it isn't that
far off then you have to stand still for at least fifteen minutes if the
power fails and you can't immediately lay your hands on a torch.

You can just about pick your way by starlight but it isn't easy.

I have a pair of those glo torches and a couple of mains standby
emergency lights for this very reason as our power does drop out
usually in the middle of winter storms or cooking supper.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown