Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Atomic energy toy

In article , Tough Guy no. 1265
wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:13:46 -0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 23/02/2015 15:39, Tough Guy no. 1265 wrote:
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:00:01 -0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

You wouldn't get it past H&S today but that doesn't mean it is the
worlds most dangerous toy. I expect some of the early dodgy small
steam engines have killed and maimed far more youngsters that
anything else.

How did steam engines kill?

Boiler explosion with an inadequate, jammed or no safety relief valve.
When even a small steam boiler explodes you really know about it!

A couple of examples from the Mamod mailing list:

http://modelsteam.myfreeforum.org/ar...__t_58382.html

"While he was endeavouring to get a higher pressure on the engine, an old
oil can that served as the boiler" sounds like he wasn't following the
instructions and using the supplied materials.

If you look at the date of the incident, I suspect that it is unlikely
there was a kit of parts or even instructions.

--
From KT24 in Surrey

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18