Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder[_2_] Mr Pounder[_2_] is offline

Default OT Apprentices and wages

"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 22/02/2015 19:31, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Nightjar .me.uk" "cpb"@ insert my surname here wrote in message
On 22/02/2015 16:53, ARW wrote:
The most interesting bit is the last sentence of the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-31550473

So what do you get paid these days if you go to college when you leave
school?

There was a time when apprentices had to pay for the privilege of being
an
apprentice and learning a useful skill.

When would this be and for which apprenticeship?...

It became a legal requirement in 1768, although it had been common
practice for some time before that, and it applied to all apprenticeships.
I presume it ceased to be a legal requirement in 1814, when it also became
legal to practice a trade without first having served a seven year
apprenticeship. However, my late father had to pay a fee to be apprenticed
as a surgical instrument maker in the 1930s.

Fair enough.
In 1966 this would have been unheard off. My father would/could not have
paid one old penny for my apprenticeship.
He was one of those silly people who did not live in a scum council house,
thus he never had much money.
OT - he hated council house scum. Like father - like son.