Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cl@isbd.net is offline

Default Toasters

Tim Streater wrote:
In article , michael adams
wrote:

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message

It seems simple enough - put bread next to something hot enough to heat
the bread and toast the surface - not too hot that you end up with toast
with a cold middle, nor too cool that it takes too long and the inside
ends up at furnace temperature.

Can we throw technology at it? I'm not sure - there are colour sensors
but what happens when you put in brown bread?

But given that the internal temperature affects the toasting time, can we
use a combination of internal temperature and time via either a mechanical
device, or some electronics?

You appear to have overlooked the moisture content of the bread.
Without having conducted any actual experiments I'd hazard
a guess that moist bread will take longer to toast to the
same degree than drier bread. And this is assuming that the
moisture gradient of each slice - even if indivdually measured,
is the same all the way through.

This is a good point. Our toaster fails in this regard. We eat both
crusts off the loaf when it's fresh, because crusts on a loaf that
finished baking 5 mins ago are so good. This however leaves an exposed
bread face that slowly dries out over the next day or so as we gobble
the loaf, to the extent that when that is the last slice, it will
certainly catch fire in the toaster on a standard setting.

Surely it must be possibe to detect how done the toast is with a
photocell of some sort. I seem to remember many, many years ago there
was a toaster that did this.

--
Chris Green
ยท