Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_8_] michael adams[_8_] is offline

Default Toasters

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message

It seems simple enough - put bread next to something hot enough to heat
the bread and toast the surface - not too hot that you end up with toast
with a cold middle, nor too cool that it takes too long and the inside
ends up at furnace temperature.

Can we throw technology at it? I'm not sure - there are colour sensors
but what happens when you put in brown bread?

But given that the internal temperature affects the toasting time, can we
use a combination of internal temperature and time via either a mechanical
device, or some electronics?

You appear to have overlooked the moisture content of the bread.
Without having conducted any actual experiments I'd hazard
a guess that moist bread will take longer to toast to the
same degree than drier bread. And this is assuming that the
moisture gradient of each slice - even if indivdually measured,
is the same all the way through.

michael adams