Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT - UKIP

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Nightjar cpb@ wrote:
On 16/02/2015 14:12, bert wrote:
In message , Adrian

The economy's not great - sure - because of a global mire, which (yes)
the UK was partly responsible for. But it's nowhere near as bad as most
of our competitors, and it's improving rapidly.

Ignore big scary numbers with lots of zeroes, and look at %ages of GDP.
The deficit is still present but down hugely, and debt is large but
manageable.

But GDP Doesn't represent wealth. It doesn't take into account debt. Our
debt s about £1.4 trillion and now rising at the rate of about £100bn
per annum. That is not sustainable in the long term.

Nor is it expected it will be. As a percentage of GDP, our national debt
will probably start to reduce after next year. The national deficit is
reducing and is expected to become a surplus around 2017. Our net
borrowing is reducing - we borrowed about £150bn in 2009 - and is
projected to reach zero around 2019. Of course, that may depend upon who
is in power.

And merely
increasing GDP by borrowing more or inflating the public sector doesn't
tackle the problem.

Borrowing to invest, which can be a major part of our borrowing, helps
to reduce the deficit and if government can increase its assets that can
reduce or avoid borrowing.

You seem to be another one who believes in fairies.

No fairys involved.

Until spending reduces below income

That's just one approach. The other obvious alternative is to
increase the income/tax collected so that it covers the spending.

all that happens is that you become bankrupt as you can't pay your debts.

Countrys don’t work like that.

The money printing, borrowing process the UK is involved in,is known as
"kicking the can down the road".

Only by those who don’t have clue.

Its actually the way the west got out of the great depression.

The USA is another good case of this,

Nope.

but at least they allowed their property market to correct.

It wasn’t 'allowed', their bubble was MUCH
worse than was seen in Britain and corrected
when the bubble inevitably burst.

An increase in interest rates for government debt will cause the whole
house of cards to fall.

How odd that it didn’t the last time.