Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_2_] Tim+[_2_] is offline

Default Toasters

Mike Barnes wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
I've just pronounced my Russell Hobbs Classic toaster beyond
repair.

It is a good few years old, and whilst I was able to make my way
inside and diagnose the failure (a bit of springy wire had
fatigued) the plastic it clipped onto was too fragile for me to
fashion and install a replacement.

For such an inexpensive item (unless you really want it to be) I
am loath to spend hours searching through on-line reviews. My
usual first look at Which? seems to produce Best Buys which have
nevertheless attracted a significant number of negative comments.

Similarly, Amazon seems to produce a wide spread of experience,
such that it is sometimes hard to believe they have used the same
hardware.

I suppose my requirements are 2-slot, able to take large or thick
slices, brown evenly and have high enough lift to remove teacakes
and similar small items without having to use tongs.

I have no particular need to toast one side of a bagel, warm my
buns, or be able to count down to l(a)unch.

What should I look at?

FWIW We've had one of these which has performed satisfactorily for nearly 20 years:

http://amazon.co.uk/Tefal-Avanti-Cla...dp/B0042AM3EU/

And they seem to be still making them, which must be a good sign.

We had one of those. The slots are way too small and restrictive IMO. Nine
out of ten slices of what *I* wanted to put in wouldn't fit. Fine if you
don't mind your slice size being somewhat limited.

Tim