Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Bill is offline

Default 13A Socket outlets - SP or DP?

In message ,
writes
On Saturday, 14 February 2015 16:38:04 UTC, Kevin wrote:
I see that many suppliers now offer both SP and DP versions of switched
sockets, with DP up to 50% dearer for a given make.
What governs which version one should use?

You can't use a switched one of any variety for supplying a boiler.

Owain

You can. Whether you should or not is a different matter!

I have just found having an old 1960s installation plugged into a 13A
socket is very useful.

The oil fired boiler feeds an induction coil in the hot water tank and
the radiators. The only form of control is the room thermostat, no
timer or zoning valves fitted. The electric immersion heater is used
in the summer for hot water and oil in the winter.

I need to leave the house unattended for some time and fit a timer to
keep the chill off the house. This was very simple, I plugged one of
the simple peg timers in series with the 13A plug, job done.
--
Bill