Jon S Green

Default mobile (cell) phone jamming

futureworlds wrote:

Even if they complained, would the police or even the UK
equivalent of the FCC be interested in expending the resources to
track down and prosecute a nut with a few mW transmitter?

Oh, yeah. Big time.

Operating a low-power illegal "normal" transmitter (like an unlicensed
CB set) is one thing - a minor offence under Part I (s.1) of the
Wireless Telegraphy Act; they'll just get the kit seized, and a Police
caution. Perhaps a small fine if it's worth a prosecution. Maybe even
a suspended jail sentence if it was shown to be interfering with
licensed equipment (by accident).

Deliberate jamming, on the other hand, is a Part II (s.13) offence, and
a whole different order of magnitude. The Radiocommunications Agency
(www.radio.gov.uk) will rain Hellfire on offenders: expect a jail term
and/or (probably 'and') a stiff fine. And seizure of anything, not just
txing equipment, that could be argued to be relevant to the offence.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! Replace 'deadspam' with 'green-lines' to reply in email.
Want a free solution to email spam? Try http://www.deadspam.com/